Suspected pirates seize vessel carrying cement off Somalia, the second hijacking incident in days.

#MOGADISHU, #Somalia — A cargo vessel carrying cement and flying the flag of St. Kitts and Nevis was hijacked off Somalia’s coast, a local maritime security official said Monday.

The ship was seized off the coastal town of Garacad in the Somali region of Puntland, according to an operations officer from the Puntland Maritime Police Force, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

The incident also was reported by the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, which cited a hijacking incident six nautical miles northeast of Garacad.

The vessel had departed from Egypt and was heading to the Kenyan port city of Mombasa. It was not possible to verify how many people were on board the vessel.

The Puntland official said nine pirates boarded and took control of the vessel. “The ship is currently under the control of armed men, and we are monitoring the situation,” he said.

This is the second hijacking incident in less than a week; on Wednesday an oil tanker was seized in waters off Puntland. That tanker had left the port of Berbera and was heading to the Somali capital of Mogadishu when it was intercepted.

Piracy off Somalia’s coast, once among the most dangerous in the world, has declined significantly over the past decade due to international naval patrols and improved maritime security. However, sporadic incidents continue to raise concerns about a possible resurgence.

Omar Faruk, The Associated Press


View 137 times

#Mali: The Malian #government confirmed the death of the defense chief, Gen. Sadio Camara, in a post on the defense ministry’s Facebook page, and expressed its condolences to his family. State-run television also broadcast the announcement of his death by spokesman Gen. Issa Ousmane Coulibaly.

Mali was struck on Saturday by one of the biggest coordinated attacks on its army in the capital, Bamako, and several other cities and towns in an assault that also challenged Mali’s security partner, Russia, which has forces on the ground in the West African country.

The government said Sunday the attacks appear to be over, but several questions remain, including who was in control of a key northern city that the separatists claim to have taken.

The government has not provided a death toll from Saturday and previously said only that at least 16 people were wounded in what it denounced as terror attacks.

The separatists have been fighting for years to create an independent state in northern Mali, while al-Qaida and IS-aligned militants have been fighting the government for over a decade.

According to the government statement, Camara’s residence was targeted by a suicide car bomber and other attackers on Saturday.

“He engaged in an exchange of fire with the assailants, some of whom he managed to neutralize,” it said. “During intense clashes, he was wounded and then transported to the hospital, where he unfortunately succumbed to his injuries.”
Separatists claim control of the northern town of Kidal

A spokesperson for the separatist Tuareg-led Azawad Liberation Front, or FLA, said the Russian Africa Corps troops and the Malian military withdrew from the city of Kidal following the attack on Saturday, after an agreement was reached for their peaceful exit.

“Kidal is declared free,” said FLA spokesperson Mohamed El Maouloud Ramadan.

In a statement on state TV late Sunday night, Gen. Oumar Diarra, head of the armed forces, confirmed that the Malian army had left the city and that its forces were repositioning in Anefis, a city about 100 kilometres (62 miles) south of Kidal.

The separatists have been fighting for years to create an independent state in northern Mali.

Kidal had long served as a stronghold of the rebellion before being taken by Malian government forces and Russian mercenaries in 2023. Its capture marked a significant symbolic victory for the junta and its Russian allies.
Militants unite with separatists to coordinate attacks

Saturday’s wave of attacks was the first time the separatists joined forces with the al-Qaida-linked group JNIM, which said it was also part of the attack on Kidal and had also targeted a town outside of the capital of Bamako and three other cities on Saturday.

The FLA spokesperson confirmed the coordinated push.

“This operation is being carried out in partnership with the JNIM, which is also committed to defending the people against the military regime in Bamako,” Ramadan said.

The separatists called on Russia to “reconsider its support for the military junta” in Mali, saying its “actions have contributed to the suffering of the civilian population.”

Wassim Nasr, a specialist for the region and senior research fellow at the Soufan Center security think tank, said this “coordination, conducting attacks all over the country at the same time,” the united push by the two groups and the call for the Russian military to leave was a first.

It extended beyond the military, he said, to the political level because both groups “acknowledged that they worked together.”

Following the attacks, a three-day overnight curfew, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., was also announced for the Bamako district.

Mali’s government spokesperson, Coulibaly, said civilian and military personnel were among the 16 wounded and that several militants were killed. He did not provide a death toll.
A threat to the wider region

The Economic Community of West African States condemned Saturday’s attacks in Mali and called on “all states, security forces, regional mechanisms and populations of West Africa to unite and mobilize in a coordinated effort to combat this scourge.”

Following military coups, the juntas in Mali, Niger, and Burkina Faso turned from Western allies to Russia for help in combating Islamic militants.

But the security situation in the region has worsened in recent times, with a record number of attacks by militants. Government forces have also been accused of killing civilians they suspect of collaborating with militants.

In 2024, an al-Qaida-linked group claimed an attack on Bamako’s airport and a military training camp in the country’s capital, killing scores of people.

Ulf Laessing, from the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, said that the separatists and JNIM are unlikely to take control of Bamako in the near term due to opposition from the local population.

Still, the attacks undermined the Malian junta’s Russian partners.

“The attacks are a major blow to Russia as the mercenaries had no intelligence about the attacks and were unable to protect major cities,” Laessing said.

Wilson Mcmakin, The Associated Press


View 139 times

#Mali separatists confirm they joined Islamic militants in co-ordinated attacks


View 132 times

#Airstrikes by Nigerian military reportedly kill 30 #ISWAP fighters in Borno; insurgents conduct mass burial after Operation Hadin Kai strikes.


View 152 times

#Nigeria : SEA sues FG and National Assembly over Bayelsa council creation and Niger Delta resource control, demanding 24 local government areas instead of eight.


View 158 times

The 12th #Uganda–#Rwanda Joint Permanent Commission opened today at Mestil Hotel, Kampala, with the Senior Officials’ Meeting. The Ugandan delegation is led by Amb. #richardkabonero , Head of REC, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who welcomed the Rwandan delegation led by Ms. Teta Gisa, Director General for Africa Department, #RwandaMFA
. The JPC reaffirms both Sister Republics’ commitment to deepen cooperation in defense, trade, infrastructure, migration, and human capital for mutual prosperity.


View 172 times

#Canada pledges $120M in aid for Sudan as brutal civil war enters fourth year. Anand told The Canadian Press hunger is being used as a weapon of war in Sudan but it’s up to global tribunals to decide whether a genocide is taking place.

“Sudan is a priority for us,” Anand said in a Wednesday interview. “I’m gravely concerned about the worsening humanitarian crisis.”

The United Nations says 34 million people in Sudan — two-thirds of the population — need humanitarian support. More than 13 million people have been displaced and the UN has reported at least 40,000 deaths, though aid groups say the true death toll is likely much higher.

The conflict began as a political struggle between the country’s military and paramilitary forces and erupted into a brutal ethnic conflict in the Darfur region. Sudan is now divided between a military-backed, internationally recognized government in the capital Khartoum, and a rival Rapid Support Forces-controlled administration in Darfur, a region in western Sudan.

Canada has announced more than $94 million in humanitarian aid for Sudan, such as emergency food and nutrition support. That sum includes aid for displaced Sudanese in neighbouring countries.

Ottawa is also sending $25 million in development assistance, such as supports for schools and trauma counselling, through Save the Children Canada, along with funding for sexual violence prevention through the UN.

Randeep Sarai, secretary of state for international development, announced the funding at a conference in Berlin, where German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said the equivalent of more than C$2 billion in humanitarian aid has been pledged by various nations.

That sum includes C$343 million offered by Germany, along with Canada’s contribution.

Wadephul told German media the aid was being offered to help fill a funding gap left by cuts to U.S. foreign aid under President Donald Trump.

The Sudanese government in Khartoum, meanwhile, slammed the conference as “unacceptable” interference and said Germany didn’t consult with Sudan before convening it.


View 199 times

Le #Zimbabwe et la #Zambie travaillent à optimiser le fret minier par voie ferrée


View 210 times

L’Algérie adopte une loi érigeant la colonisation française en crime


View 207 times